Friday, November 16, 2012

Back to this little corner of my world


-->
Welcome back to another corner of my world.
Yes, I said, “Welcome back.”
About three years ago, I started posting on this, my own blog space, as a supplement to what I was doing as sports editor of The Anderson News. I had some off-the-wall posts, some looks at the sporting world and got into a few other things. But mainly, it was sports.
For reasons I won't go into, I stopped blogging here after several months.
I wish I hadn't.
This was never intended to be just a look at sports. In fact, that was to be a very small portion of the content here.
So I am back.
Except for one difference. This blog will focus on faith and the world around us. No sports talk allowed, unless it deals with faith. For example, I might talk about Tim Tebow, but it will be for his Christian faith, not about whether he should be the starting quarterback for the New York Jets.
(If you go back, you will notice I have taken down every post, except for those dealing with an aspect of faith.)
You should know that anything I post here is my own opinion, not that of my employers or co-workers. It might not even be my wife's viewpoint.
Most people know me as the sports editor of a small-town paper. It is a lifestyle I have enjoyed since 1985 and have made many friends along the way. Some of them have been kids I wrote about while they played high school sports, others have been their coaches or parents.
Occasionally, I get a note from someone that just likes, or dislikes, something I have written.
Yet, for some time, I have struggled with the idea that while writing about sports is fun and often is the positive news in a negative world, it still doesn't last. Several years ago, I intereviewed someone who had won several accolades as a high school athlete. Now, however, he was in a ministry and said something along the line, “All the trophies and championships don't mean anything compared to what I am doing now.”
(That is not a direct quote, but the gist of what he said and I am unable to locate the original quote right now.)
Anyway, that has tugged at me for some time.
While most who read this know me as the sports guy, my training is that of a minister. I graduated from Roanoke Bible College, which is now known as Mid-Atlantic Christian University, in Elizabeth City, N.C. I also have a Master of Arts from Cincinnati Christian University and was in the ministry for over 20 years.
However, I have failed many times as a person. The Bible says we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. I am one of the worst. I have gone through divorce, not once, but twice. The Bible says that is sin, no question. But the Bible also says salvation is through Jesus Christ and we can be forgiven.
I know. I am living it and am much more on fire for the Lord now than I ever was as a minister. Some might find that strange, but let's just say that I have experienced forgiveness and the joy that comes from finally letting God have control. I certainly don't have all the answers and some of the things I might write about may come more from experience than theological study.
At the same time, I will firmly stand for what I believe, whether writing a sports story, talking with someone or blogging in this space.
As my wonderful wife and a few close friends know, I have been praying about this for some time. I believe the Lord has led me back here and I do hope I have something to offer. You see, writing sports is fun and the games are important to those who play. But eventually, trophies tarnish and memories fade.
If what I say here prompts one person to accept Christ or even take his relationship with the Lord more seriously, it means more than any of the nine regional championships I have covered.
I might talk about religion. I might talk about politics. I might talk about something funny that happened to me in my job -- trust me, I could write a book about that.
I might make you laugh. I might make you cry. I might even make you mad. 
Most of all, I want to inspire you to think.
I write from a conservative Christian viewpoint, but that doesn't mean I have all the answers. Nor does it mean those who may not agree have nothing to offer. I read Dana Milbank and E.J. Dionne as much as I read George Will and Cal Thomas.
I am a country guy through and through. Outside of writing, the biggest thing I ever won was having the Reserve Grand Champion Bull at the Kentucky Polled Hereford show one year. Laugh if you want, but I was smiling big.
I believe there is no athlete greater than Johnny Bench and no actor quite like John Wayne. And, of course, the Oak Ridge Boys are the greatest musicians that ever lived.
I will post when I can. Hopefully that will be at least once a week and I welcome your feedback.
Hang on and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment