Friday, December 21, 2012

Getting out of "The Christmas Spirit"

I believe I have been into what we call “The Christmas Spirit” more in 2012 than recent years. I don't know why, but I have.
I haven't spent more money on presents this year, but I do know that I have just been more in tune with the story of the birth of Jesus Christ than in the past. I have also felt a little more generous, for some reason.
I do know that I had been listening to some Christmas music – Joy to the World is my favorite – since before Thanksgiving. I can never remember doing that.
There are some limits, of course. Earlier this week, I was in the doctor's office for my annual physical when the nurse asked where I had done my shopping. My quick answer was, “Online.” The implication is that I avoided the mobs and traffic jams at the mall.
And when gas went up 35 cents a gallon in one day, it was enough to make me cry, “Bah, Humbug!”
It makes me wonder, “What really is the Christmas spirit?” On top of that, “Do we really need it?”
Whoa! I am sure some would think I have lost my mind when I ask if we really need “The Christmas Spirit,” but just keep reading.
In our society today, the Christmas season has come to mean two things: Expanded consumerism and seasonal awareness of those who are less fortunate.
Christians and churches are far from immune to these aspects of the world's understanding of Christmas. In fact, I am sometimes amazed at how deeply it is ingrained in those who claim to be different from the world around them.
Over the last few years, it has become stylish in Christian circles to utter the words, “I can't wait to see what God has in store next.”
They might take different forms, but the words are a reasonable facsimile of that sentence, conveying the thought: “I can't wait to see what is in it for me (or us.)”
To be fair, I do believe some share those thoughts without thinking of the connotation. At least I hope so. I would like to think many utter those thoughts with the idea of “I am expecting to enjoy" or “I am looking to be uplifted or lift someone else up.” Perhaps the words are intended to reflect a desire for the “experience” of worship.
Yet, I often wonder if this is a product of our consumerism. Really, what more does God need to have in store for us? He has already given his son for our salvation. The basis of the Christian faith is on the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Do we need more?
By saying this, I am not saying we should not look for blessings. They are everywhere and often found when we are least expecting them. Nor am I saying that worship should be a cold, dull and sullen affair. Just as a sports fan can get excited about what his team does, a Christian has even more reason to be joyous. The salvation that we have through Jesus is infinitely greater than anything our favorite team can give and we should be excited.
It reminds me of the old preacher I once heard say he wished he could get in the pulpit and yell, “Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar. All for Jesus, stand up and holler.”
The key is who is the most important? Do we direct our worship and the way we carry our lives, which the book of Romans tells us is our worship, to God or is it for our “experience?” Are our lives “for Jesus” or “for us?”
Are we really focusing on being disciples of Jesus Christ or are we looking for the latest religious fad that makes us feel good, then move on when something else tickles our fancy?
Have we made Christianity religious version of looking for a bargain on Black Friday?


We also need to get rid of The Christmas Spirit in how we view those who are less fortunate.
Christmas is a time when we DO think about giving. Even those who have no desire to be involved in organized faith often refer to the Christmas season as “a time of giving.”
Churches often put together food baskets, gather clothing or have toy drives at Christmas time. Other organizations do many of the same things. These are wonderful opportunities to minister to people at a time when having material needs is magnified. When someone is unable to share in our traditions of Christmas because of a sickness, injury, a loss of a job, or many other reasons, it seems to be a double blow.
There are many people around the world who live in poverty and would welcome any gesture of good will. My family prepared several boxes for Operation Christmas Child, a wonderful outreach of Samaritan's Purse, an organization headed by Franklin Graham. That is just one of the many good opportunities to give just a small amount to reach others in another country.
But what about people who have needs in March, May or August? Do we meet needs then too? Are we as cognizant then?
There are many good organizations, such as World Vision, Compassion International and Save the Children, to name a few, where we can contribute.
Sadly, however, we often overlook those with needs in our own back yards. In our relative affluence, I am as guilty of that as anyone.
The church I attend is one of many that sponsors a “No Sale Yard Sale” designed to reach out to those in the community by simply giving clothes away. Another church I attended when I was living elsewhere had a creative ministry of people working on cars as a ministry to those who cannot afford repairs. The examples are countless.
However, are we as cognizant of people with needs in July as we are in December? Do we really help others in our every day lives, not waiting for a church or organization to help when we can reach out on our own?
If we only reach out during the Christmas season, then we need to expand that Christmas spirit to a 12-month proposition.
Obviously, many people faithfully offer heartfelt worship and reach out to others. Many of their efforts go unnoticed here on earth, but we know that the One who matters notices.
But I fear the secularization of our society has led to a different gospel than the one Jesus charged us with.




1 comment:

  1. Amen. One thing that really bugs me is how we think giving money lets us off the hook. Yes, charities need the money, but more importantly people need our time. And time is a more precious comodity in the US. It's easy to write a check. It's much harder to carve an hour or two out of our schedules and sacrifice that on the altar of giving to others. Good thoughts, my man!

    ReplyDelete