Thursday, July 11, 2013

A no-no after a no-no

           NOTE:  This is my column from the July 10, 2013, edition of The Anderson News.

            It seems like I can't quite catch a break when it comes to seeing a no-hitter.
At least at the major league level, I can't.
Since the day my parents took me to Cincinnati’s Crosley Field for my first baseball game in 1964, I have seen, by my best guesstimate, over 200 major league games. I have seen games in 11 different stadiums in nine different cities. I have seen some of the greats – Gibson, Drysdale, Glavine and Seaver, among others -- pitch.
But never have I seen a no-no.
Ironically, the very first game I ever attended, when the Reds beat the Houston Colt .45s, Houston's starting pitcher was a veteran right-hander named Don Larsen. He wasn't involved in the decision – thank you for that info, Baseball-Reference.com – and the name admittedly meant nothing to me at the time. But looking back, it's pretty cool that in my first game, the only guy to ever throw a perfect game in the World Series was on the hill.
I've come close a couple of times. Last year, I was at Great American Ball Park when Bronson Arroyo took a no-no into the eighth inning against the Brewers. And back in 1984, I was there when Reds' pitcher Mario Soto was one strike away from history before the Cardinals' George Hendrick hit one to Newport.
I've seen several no-hitters at the high school level and below and even saw one in Louisville years back when a Yankee farmhand named Kevin Mmahat – how could you ever forget that name? – dealt one against the Class AAA Redbirds.
But never in the big leagues.
I don't really know if last week's gem by the Reds' Homer Bailey qualifies as a near-miss. He dominated the Giants on Tuesday. I had tickets for Wednesday night, 24 hours too late. At least I watched Tuesday's masterpiece on Fox Sports from start to finish.
As Fox's multiple replays of Bailey's second no-no suggested, it really is a big deal.
Too bad the post-game interview wasn't so great.
In case you missed it, during an interview with Fox's Jeff Piecoro, Bailey uttered a profanity on live TV. He dropped what some call “the F-bomb” when Piecoro asked about a seventh-inning walk that was the difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game.
Since Bailey walked Gregor Blanco on a 3-2 pitch, he was actually one pitch from perfection.
Seeing there have been 280 no-hitters in major league history but only 23 perfect games, Piecoro asked a legitimate question.
It might not have been the biggest thing fans wanted to talk about, but was certainly a question that had to be asked.
Immediately, there were several reactions ranging from “Big deal,” to “He owes the fans an apology.”
From this corner, I was disappointed with the gaffe, but after being around sports all my life, can understand that sometimes in the moment, people say things without thinking. I hope that is what happened.
I also know that the number of people who have not uttered some sort of profanity under their breath at one time or another is very, very small.
It still doesn't make it right.
What is much more troubling is that our society has devolved to the point where profanity is considered OK.
During the few moments following Bailey's miscue – which I admittedly did not hear live due to my phone ringing at that time – my Twitter feed was full of tweets making light of Bailey's flub. Later, as some criticism started coming in, the not-a-big-deal crowd chimed in saying something along the lines of, “He just pitched a great game. I don’t care what he says.”
And, unbelievably, there were many who laid the blame at Piecoro’s feet for asking the question. In other words, someone else made Bailey say it.
Unfortunately, those who say it is a sign of the 21st Century are correct.
Have we gotten to the point where our language, whether sports or every other aspect of life, has to be punctuated with profanity? Have we gotten to the point that we are desensitized by “word bombs?”
In 1939, Clark Gable upset many when he uttered what is considered a mild profanity in “Gone With the Wind.” Now? Much stronger language is almost the norm in film.
As a child, one of my elementary school teachers threatened to wash our mouths out with soap if we “cussed.” Thankfully, I never found out. Now, the same teacher would be accused of abusing children.
When I was a student at Anderson County High School, one of our coaches had a rule against profanity of any kind as he felt it showed a lack of self-control.
Today? People criticize those who are critical of profanity.
That last statement is much more troubling than anyone slipping on the spur of the moment.
Old fashioned? You bet. But there's nothing wrong with that.
For the record, I made a decision many years ago to never include a profanity, no matter how mild or harsh, in my writing. If a quote can be run without the word, as is usually the case, I leave it out. If it cannot, I leave the quote out. That is my decision and whether it violates the rules of journalism, I really don't care.
Profanity, no matter how strong or mild, is unnecessary.
And it should be even rarer than a perfect game.



No comments:

Post a Comment