Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful for two who crossed my path this year

As I type this out on Thanksgiving Day, 2013, there are so many things in life for which I am thankful.
Like most, I am thankful for my family, for my health and for the many material blessings I have. The older I get, the more I reflect on those simple things every day I live.
This year, a couple of people gave me some unexpected blessings that have truly changed my outlook on life. I am not sure the persons even realized it when they made me sit back, think, and then act on what they said.
I have no idea if Clay Perkins and Duane Allen have ever crossed paths, but I am eternally grateful they intersected with my journey through life in 2013.
Clay Perkins is the president of my alma mater, Mid-Atlantic Christian University. When I graduated over 30 years ago, it was known as Roanoke Bible College and, admittedly, I have been out of the loop when it comes to the school's affairs over that time.
Mr. Perkins and I talked at length this summer when we were both attending the North American Christian Convention in Louisville. I had met him before and had somewhat stayed in contact through Facebook, but to say that we know each other well would be a stretch.
What he did know about me was that I had been in the located ministry for about 20 years and that I sometimes beat myself up for not being in the pulpit every Sunday now. He encouraged me to remember God's grace.
I try to do that every day, but it is easier said than done.
At the college's alumni reception that week, I took some photos and sent them to Mr. Perkins, along with one my wife snapped of Clay and me together. A few days later, that same photo turned up on Facebook with the simple caption, “One of our graduates who is serving as a sports writer.”
I felt like someone turned a light on.
For years, I had tried to make sure my writings had reflected my faith. When someone had given a quote with what I considered inappropriate language, I had always omitted that or simply summarized the thought without a quote. I tried to refrain from the personally destructive comments that seem to sell so well in the media today.
But “serving as a sports writer?” That opened my eyes that we can really make a difference in nearly any profession.
Not long after Mr. Perkins wrote that, I talked about some moral issues in published columns. A reader e-mailed me commenting on the “boldness” I had used in those writings.
Then, in early September, fear of legal action by the ACLU prompted a decision by the Anderson County Board of Education that resulted in the football coach not publicly praying with his team.
I was not happy with the decision, but was glad I was in a position to give Christians a voice in the local media.
Yes, it was service. Thank you, Mr. Perkins, for reminding me.
In August, I had the privilege to interview Duane Allen. If you listen to country or gospel music, you know Duane. He's been the lead singer of The Oak Ridge Boys since 1966. The group is one of the most beloved in American music history with hits like “Elvira” and “American Made.”
I had stumbled across a local connection to Duane Allen's mega-successful career, so I took a chance and requested an interview.
Mr. Allen graciously consented and personally made sure everything was set up to accommodate my hearing impairment, including a face-to-face interview instead of over the phone or via e-mail.
He suggested we meet a few hours before the Oaks took the stage for what has been an annual show at the Kentucky State Fair for nearly 40 years.
He even set it up for my wife to sit in on the interview. It was a lesson in giving of one's self.
We were expecting 15 minutes. He gave us 45.
And Duane Allen gave us more than his time. When he recounted the incredible story of how he ended up with The Oaks, he punctuated it saying, “I have always had faith.  This was just another example of how God works in my life and directing every step I take. I never had any doubts about God being in my life. It is just another example.”
When I asked about going from gospel music to country, he noted, "Everything we do is dedicated to God. I don't pick out certain things and dedicate them to God.  I dedicate every country song, Every song that has crossed over to rock-and-roll. Thank you Elvira. It helped me pay bills and make people happy.”
And later in the interview, Duane told me, “I didn't find God in country music. I just found He was already there. I want him in my life. I don't put conditions on where he goes.”
It sounds so simple and basic, yet it is something many of us, including me, struggle with on a daily basis. If you are a Christian, you are a Christian 24-7, no matter where you are. We can't just compartmentalize our relationship with God. Whether we are preachers, academicians, entertainers, factory works, writers or anything else, God is there.
Our relationship should be, too.
It is something I have known in my head for many years. I believe I finally understood it in my heart this summer.
And for that, I am thankful for crossing paths with Clay Perkins and Duane Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment