Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Lasting Legacy

(Over my career in sports journalism, I have met so many wonderful people who give of their time, but most importantly, live the faith they claim. One such person was Tracy Briscoe. I knew Tracy well, but I would not characterize us as close friends. We often talked on the sidelines as we were working football games in differing capacities. Tracy passed away far too young at 48. This is my column, which appeared in the Sept. 3 edition of The Anderson News.)

 Someone was missing from the sideline when Anderson County opened the home football season Friday night.
As I thought about that fact as the game wore on, little did I realize the eerie coincidence that the night the Bearcats opened what they hope will be another great season would be the final night of Tracy Briscoe's life.
Even though Tracy, a local physical therapist who offered his services at Anderson games, had missed a few over the last few years, my knowing that he had been seriously ill over the last few weeks made that fact so difficult to fathom.
As I exchanged pleasantries with acquaintances from other media outlets working the contest, I could not help but think about the many times Tracy Briscoe and I carried on conversations lasting an entire game.
Through football, Tracy Briscoe became a friend, yet I can't say we were close. I can't even remember having a cup of coffee together somewhere along the way. But we talked.
And talked a lot over the last few years.
You see, working the sidelines as a member of the media can actually be a lonely place. There is action going on in front of you but precious few to chat with between then plays.
Tracy Briscoe and I changed the world several times under the Friday Night Lights.
I came to really respect this young man over time as it was obvious he had a deep knowledge of the game. While I probably did not see him play over two or three times – he finished his Anderson career before I started writing – fans recognized his ability when he was named one of the Best of the Bearcats team The Anderson News sponsored in 2007.
Suffice it to say his vote totals were very strong in his favor.
Over time, I came to realize why that was the case and why I respected him so. There is no doubt Tracy was an outstanding end and linebacker, but he was even a better person, one that was truly loved and respected by many in his hometown.
I am sure there are many photos of Tracy playing football or basketball during his years at Anderson County High School. Those memories will always be strong.
But I am also sure of this: Tracy will be remembered more for who he was. As acute myeloid leukemia drained life from this vibrant young man, I saw Facebook posts from those closest to him saying things like “Trace is ready.”
Only 48 years old, lots of life supposed to be in front of him, but friends simply saying, “Trace is ready.”
It is fitting that the last time I remember talking with Tracy Briscoe was not on the sideline of an Anderson County football game, but at his home church, Sand Spring Baptist.
His uncle, Larry Briscoe, had invited me to attend the church's Christmas Homecoming celebration last December. Jeff Stice, a renowned gospel pianist, would be part of the program as would several local singers.
Tracy Briscoe was one of those performers. His faith was radiant as he presented his message in song that night.
Sunday, one of Tracy's best friends, Anderson County Assistant Superintendent of Schools Derek Shouse, posted on his Facebook account, “When we first talked with him two weeks ago about his prognosis, he very emphatically told us he was ready. He knew his relationship with the Savior and had no reason to fear. He said, 'There is NO fear, when you KNOW Christ.' That's the message I am compelled to share from my friend, teammate, and indeed brother in Christ.”
And for that, more than any touchdown he ever scored, Tracy Briscoe's legacy will live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment