Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Shooting of TV reporter hits clost to home

     As I sat in my home office this morning, I was shocked when the news came that two journalists for a Virginia television stations were killed while conducting a live interview for the station's morning news show.
     I had planned to catch up on some personal work but really have not been able to get my mind off these young people, both in their 20s, whose bright futures ended so abruptly as they were doing what appeared to be a positive feature about a business district.
     You might have seen the video and the look of horror on the face of Alison Parker, the young reporter, just before her life was senselessly taken.
     As someone who has made my living, or at least part of it, in journalism over half of my life, I hurt for the people involved. I never met either and have no ties other than being in the larger journalistic fraternity.
     But I can't say I was shocked. We live in a crazy, mixed up world in which anything goes and the deranged walk the streets with us.
     Even though I work for a small town newspaper, I have seen glimpses of the dangers of just doing this job.
     It is not uncommon to have my camera bag or brief case searched. At first, I thought it was kind of silly, but the fact is that anyone could be capable of lunacy. If someone does not know me personally, I now have no problem showing the security detail what I have with me. I don't have anything to hide.
     Over the years, I have witnessed people in the stands who give me reason to pause. While I have never felt threatened with serious injury while working the sidelines, I have seen people at games who appear unstable or so belligerent that I wonder if they are capable of serious violence.
     I won't go into details here. Let's just say it happens and most any journalist knows exactly what I mean.
     Journalists also receive e-mails or letters threatening varying degrees of ill will. While I believe most are from people who have had a bad day and really have not thought through what they say, you can never be too careful.
     Now we have seen tragedy on live TV.
     That makes it hit close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment