Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Christian teachers deserve our prayers for their work in a ripe mission field

 When I carried a note pad into the Anderson County High School gym for that first basketball game I covered as a member of the media, I thought I would be writing about sports and talking with sports figures.

What I quickly found out and am reminded of nearly every day is the fact that my writing is usually about people. There have been good people, shady people and people who would fall somewhere in between on the character scale.

And most of those people are teachers. 

My job is with a small-town weekly newspaper. That means I spend a lot of time around high school sports. 

Make that A LOT of time spent with teachers. They might be coaches to most people, but usually, they are people who have what amounts to a second job at the field. During the day, most are teaching history or science or math.

And I see the good ones in action doing what they do best, which is impacting the lives of young people. That's real coaching. It's real teaching.

I see it first hand almost every day. 

My wife, Stephanie, is an elementary school teacher. Just like those good coaches I had watched for years before I met her, I found that her greatest desire is to positively impact young people during the time they are with her. 

From the number of hugs she gets when we are out and about – “That's one of my former students,” she usually says after one of those moments – I would say she is often successful. 

I'm partial to teachers, probably because an aunt spent most of her life educating kids about reading and writing – her specialty – and most importantly about life.

But things have sure changed in the classroom.

For example, when a kid cursed a teacher in my aunt's day the consequences were having a mouth washed with Lava soap or a paddling – or both – along with a conference with a parent who repeated the punishment, now a teacher can talk to a kid or have a conference with a parent, but little else. It's not necessarily a change for the better.

Through my elementary school years, we started the day with a Bible passage and prayer. It was the same for many people I know, but not now.

And while I lament that “secularists” and “progressives” succeeded in removing those precious acts of faith and the heritage of faith in our nation, it is still possible for Christian teachers to be influential in the spiritual lives of children. 

Obviously, teachers can be an example. Over the years, I have had several coaches share their desire to be the light of Christ through their programs. The same can happen in the classroom.

We live in a world where some kids sometimes come to school from homes where one or both parents are on drugs. Kids live in homes where one parent, sometimes both, is missing. I could go on and on  but will refrain. It's depressing enough as it is.

It's why I have often said one of the greatest mission fields in thew world today is the American public school system. 

Let me interject I have nothing but admiration for the many Christian schools in America today. The ones I am familiar with do a marvelous job. But theirs is a different mission and different environment than the public schools. Parents choose to send their children to the private schools where the climate is friendly to Christianity.

Christian public school teachers serve in an environment growing increasingly hostile to Christianity, yet they somehow share the light of Christ the best they can.

Too often, we see stories of public school teachers seemingly in the profession to further a political agenda or more interested in the pay rather than performance. While there are certainly educators who fit those descriptions – I have met several – it is unfair to lump them with those hard-working souls who go above and beyond what should be reasonably expected simply to make the life of a child better.

And there are countless teachers who do that with their commitment to Christ as the blueprint for their mission.

Those people deserve our applause. And our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment