Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Emotional tribute of 'To Joey, With Love' provides challenge to the faithful




I should have taken a handkerchief when I saw “To Joey, With Love” Tuesday night.
 
I knew the movie would be a sad story, but I pride myself in being a tough guy who rarely sheds tears. As I watched the story chronicling the final two years of country singer Joey Feek’s life, I wanted to cry.

My wife, Stephanie, could not hold back the tears as we watched the film, which was created, written and directed by Rory Feek as a tribute to his wife, who died in March after a courageous battle against cancer.

The husband-wife team had become extremely popular with their mix of classic and modern country along with a down-to-earth persona showcased on their successful cable TV show.

At the height of their success, they decided to take a year off from traveling while Joey had the couple’s first child. They would document it on film.

Little did they know what was ahead.

The baby girl was born with Down’s Syndrome. The family quickly accepted that the child, named “Indiana” after Joey’s home state, was the one God wanted them to have. 

At her 12-week checkup after giving birth, the doctors found that Joey had an abnormality which turned out to be cervical cancer. After surgery and aggressive treatment, doctors declared Joey to be cancer-free only to have the dreaded disease return in 2015. Despite more surgeries and treatment, the cancer could not be contained.

Joey and Rory went to live life to the fullest in the time she had left. 

Watching Joey’s physical decline on film could only make one wonder how he would respond if placed in that situation.

The story that began with Joey giving a life took the most dramatic turn possible and continues today, even after her death. That is what a true witness is.

It’s more than singing a song or wearing a big smile. It’s knowing one’s eternity has been sealed by Jesus Christ.

I accidentally became a fan of Joey and Rory several years back. I’d been watching The Marty Stuart Show on RFD-TV and somehow had been distracted toward the end of the show and left the room. When I returned to the couch, Joey and Rory had come on. I was immediately hooked on their music and their unwavering devotion to Jesus Christ.

I told my wife to check them out and she was quickly a bigger fan than me. The just seemed like genuine people, thankful for what they had accomplished and giving God the glory for everything.

We regret we had a scheduling conflict the last time Joey and Rory performed at Renfro Valley, our favorite concert venue. Very soon after that show last September, the couple stopped touring.

Their witness, however will remain strong through their music.

The film, which is being shown on a limited basis, can only enhance that outreach.

As the crowd slowly filed out of the theater, the sounds were few. A few sniffles here. Some whispers there.

I wonder how many were thinking the same as me: Is my faith so strong that it will inspire others. Through a time of pain and death, would I, like Joey, be able to sing? Would I be able to smile and encourage others?

Her voice was weakened, but still distinct.

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul

Thank you Joey for your powerful witness.

Thank you Rory, for a wonderful celebration of her life.

And for making me examine my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment