Friday, September 15, 2017

Harmony in the midst of chaos



I have written this blog over and over in my mind for the last three or four weeks, but my mind kept racing with the latest in the 24/7 news cycle that has become a staple of life in 2017.

So much chaos. So much confusion. It's almost like someone has taken an out of tune guitar and insists on blaring it full blast, then adding a beginning band, clashing cymbals and all, to parade before our lives.

Triumphant Quartet at Sand Spring Baptist Church, June 15, 2017.
Recently as I reflected on that cacophony, I could not think but how I had been blessed by four concerts since mid-June, all of which reminded me of how wonderful harmony really is in music and in our lives.

If you know me at all, you know I love music, especially gospel, country and bluegrass with some 60s and 70s rock mixed in. As a kid, my life revolved around our farm, playing baseball and heading to one of those “all day singin' and dinner on the ground” gatherings that it seemed like every church in Anderson County, Kentucky sponsored in the '60s.  I remember seeing professional groups like The Prophets, The Blackwood Brothers and J.D. Sumner and the Stamps.

That influence flourished when I was a teen and became a fan of The Imperials, who had sung backup to Elvis, and The Oak Ridge Boys, at the time one of the hottest gospel groups around. There was, and is, just something about that wonderful four-part harmony.

Now in my late 50s, I experienced a two-month run that saw my musical tastes filled by Triumphant, The Oak Ridge Boys (twice), and Ricky Skaggs with his band, Kentucky Thunder.

Four shows. They showcased different kinds of harmony, but amidst the chaos of the world, I needed it.

I don't want to take the contrast too far since all are entertainers who provided a few moments of musical escape from a world that has become infested by the discord of hate.

But when I kept thinking about it, there might have been a reason their harmony was such a blessing: They all shared the message of Christ, which is true harmony in life.

Back on June 15, I was blessed by Triumphant Quartet at Sand Spring Baptist Church, just a few miles down the road from my house. If you are not familiar with this outstanding group, it was brought together by Louise Mandrell for her show at Pigeon Forge, about 15 years ago. The opener that night was His Heart Quartet, one of the finest regional groups around.

During the concert, Triumphant bass singer Eric Bennett, a former pastor, shared about the message of one of their latest songs, Chain Breaker.

If you've got pain
He's a pain taker
If you feel lost
He's a way maker
If you need freedom or saving
He's a prison-shaking Savior
If you've got chains
He's a chain breaker.
--Zach Williams

I don't know of any other lyrics more appropriate for today's world.
Do you?

Nine days later, my wife and I saw The Oak Ridge Boys, my 33rd Oaks concert, at Renfro Valley. It was  vintage Oaks with a ton of country hits and some good old Red, White and Blue flag-waving through the night. 

But maybe the biggest cheer of the night came when Joe Bonsall said, “We're going to sing some gospel!”

The Oak Ridge Boys at Renfro Valley, June 24, 2017.
The Oaks are members of the Country Music Hall of Fame but have never forgotten their gospel roots and they unabashedly talk about their faith. And as Duane Allen stepped forward, they delivered one of my favorites, “I Would Crawl All the Way to the River,” a rocking gospel song from their Fancy Free album – the same as “Elvira” – that sounds like it could have been sung right after chowing down on fried chicken and mashed potatoes in the 60s.

Two months later, we saw the Oaks again at the Kentucky State Fair, their 42nd consecutive year in Louisville. And a tradition inside that tradition is an a capella performance of “Amazing Grace” as an encore. I have no idea how many people were seated on the turf at Cardinal Stadium that night, but I can tell you that hearing several thousand people join in the marvelous harmony of the great old hymn can make you forget about the troubles of the world outside.

I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind but now I see.

I believe we live in a world terribly blinded by Satan's lies and the only answer to overcome is the Amazing Grace of God.

Back on July 29, my wife and I celebrated our anniversary with another trip to Renfro Valley. This time, we saw another of my favorites, Ricky Skaggs. As much as I love bluegrass music, it's hard to believe that was the first time I had seen him other than a few songs at the Grand Ole Opry. I knew Skaggs was a committed Christian, but was not prepared for a show in which a large percentage of the songs were decidedly Christian in message in the beautiful harmonies that define bluegrass vocalists. 
Ricky Skaggs at Renfro Valley, July 24, 2017.

Then, after the show, Skaggs went to the foyer for a meet-and-greet. Directly in front of us was a couple with a large manila envelope containing several keepsakes. They started talking with the star and instead of pushing them along, he listened.  For several moments, one of the biggest stars in country and bluegrass music was listening to some fans about something that had happened in their lives. He even jotted down a few notes.

The music was outstanding, but I was struck by Ricky Skaggs' genuine show of concern.

In this world we live in, we need harmony. Real harmony with those around us. As much as I love hearing a great bass or tenor, I want to live life as God wants even more.

Just taking the time to be in tune with God and caring about people is a way to start.

I can assure you it would create miles of good will in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment